If You're New to this Blog...

It's been a wild ride since we left Jerusalem. If you're new here, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the First Post. Otherwise, new posts are below.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Arabian Arrow Massacre

Alright, I’m still ticked at Nephi, and still working on being able to forgive him, but I gotta give him some credit. He figured out how to make his own bow, string it, and and then he made an appropriate arrow. Dad used the director to figure out where he should go hunt, and Nephi made a killing up on the mountain this morning. He killed so many animals with a single arrow, Laman, Sam, and I had to go help him bring the carcasses down. Like I said before, he’s got a lot of good technical skills, just no social skills at all. I guess I need to focus more on his good qualities.

A slight exaggeration of Nephi's haul from this morning

Camp’s been busy this whole morning as we’ve been skinning and prepping the food. Dad has insisted that we don’t cook the food (my guess is the smoke would alert the gangs on the trading routes to our presence), so we’ve been eating it raw (ugh), but luckily no one has gotten sick. Or at least they haven’t got sick from eating raw meat anyway. Jael’s dad is real sick. I spent some time with him this morning, and I don’t know if he’s going to return to health even with all the meat we have. Jael tried to feed him a bit, but he couldn’t keep anything down. I think the exhaustion combined with starvation might’ve been too much for him at his age.

Jael's not talking about it much; she still thinks he's going to pull through, and I’m not sure what to say. It’s a rough way for her to start a new family—live in a tent, nearly starve while pregnant, probably lose your dad. She’s so great, and I love her so much. She really deserves a lot better than this. I have no idea how to help her through this time. I’m kind of new at this whole being an adult thing, and I want to do what I can for her, but I feel so limited.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you one of Nephi's friends? I'm mostly worried about what will happen next.

      Delete