If You're New to this Blog...

It's been a wild ride since we left Jerusalem. If you're new here, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the First Post. Otherwise, new posts are below.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Good Day to Die?

Okay, I’m starting to wonder if I’m the one here who’s a prophet. Seriously though, what did I say in my last post? I was worried that Dad was going to go even farther down this road of crazy, and he has. He wants me and my brothers to go back to Jerusalem and talk to Laban and see if we can get him to give us the brass plates.

I tried to explain to him the challenge involved in this task. Now before I recount our conversation, let me give you some background. Laman was explaining to me that ever since Babylon got rid of our last king and installed Hezekiah, Laban has been on a power grab. The guy’s official title is captain of 50, but he’s actually way more powerful than that. Also, he hates the Jeremiah followers, and I’m not sure why he even has the brass plates. I’m thinking he probably stole them. I’m not sure if my dad’s dream about his life being endangered was true or not, but if it was, then Laban was probably the reason. Anyway, so this is what I remember of our conversation:

Me: Soooo, we are supposed to go to Laban, and ask him to give us the plates.

Dad: Yes, the Lord commands that you seek the records from him.

Me: Okaayyyy, but, why would Laban give them to us? If your dream about people gonna kill you was right, those people are probably Laban. I don’t see him being very cooperative. In fact, he might kill us. And if he doesn’t kill us, he’ll probably send some of his men to tail us back here so they can kill you. Sooooo, I’m just not sure how this could possibly work? Did the Lord happen to mention to you how we should do this?

Dad: He only commanded that you go to Jerusalem and seek the records from Laban. You’ll need to receive guidance from Him on how to do the seeking. This is an important part of yours and Laman’s growth into followers of the Lord.

Me: Okay, well, we can tell him that you said the Lord commands him to give us the records, but I don’t know that such a statement will lead to the desired behavior from him.

Laman: Dad, Listen to yourself! You’re going to get us killed for nothing. There’s no way we can get those records. We can’t steal them, his compound has too many guards. We can’t request them, he’ll kill us. Lemuel’s trying to point this out to you diplomatically, but you’re too foolish to see the truth. This is impossible, and you’re going to get us killed.

Dad: The Lord will protect you. Go in faith, and He’ll guide you to accomplish His will.

Laman: Is it His will that you and Mom are left without any sons?

Me: Maybe that’s why they’re having another kid. [snicker snicker]

Laman: Shut up, Lemuel!

And that was pretty much it. So yeah, now we’re gearing up to go back. I never had to deal much with Laban before, but Laman did, and he really doesn’t like the guy. He says we’re going back to our graves. Gonna be walking a lot the next couple days so I probably won’t have time to update everyone until we get back…if we get back. Probably shouldn’t be so morbid on this blog, but honestly guys, I’m kind of scared. Even if God did command this, it’s not like everyone who does God’s bidding always lives. Sometimes they die too. Pray for us.

Update: Nephi thinks it’s a great idea. Talking to him about the inherent problems with the plan was about as effective as talking to dad. Laman is more worried now because we have Mr. Social Skills himself coming along to interact with Laban.

No comments:

Post a Comment