If You're New to this Blog...

It's been a wild ride since we left Jerusalem. If you're new here, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the First Post. Otherwise, new posts are below.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Thankful for...what again?

So after I posted yesterday, I came out and saw that Dad and the bros were building an altar. That initially struck me as kinda weird because we’ve never done sacrifices outside of the temple before. But I guess when you live out in the boonies, you gotta make do. Anyway, I went and helped, and asked Dad why we’re building an altar, and he said it’s to give thanks to God.

????

Yeah, that’s what I thought. We’re out here in the middle of nowhere, what do we have to be thankful for? And you know what, if it really was God that wanted us out here, that would be one thing, but I have a feeling that’s not the case. God is probably up there thinking, “Why are you thanking me for this?! I didn’t tell you to leave! Stick with the majority of my covenant people. There’s safety there."

Anyway, I didn’t say anything to him about what I was thinking. I’ve tried multiple times to talk to him about the importance of staying with the Lord's covenant people and His appointed leaders, but he doesn’t seem to listen. After we made the sacrifice, he named the river by our campsite “Laman,” and he labeled the valley we’re camping in “Lemuel.” He then told me he wants me to steadfastly keep the commandments of the Lord, which is what I’ve been trying to do, but it’s hard when I have to choose between the commandment to honor my father, and remaining with God’s covenant people.

As I pondered on this dilemma, I mentioned it to him; he didn’t seem happy about what I said. Then Laman chimed in. I love him, but dude sometimes doesn’t know when to keep his trap shut. He called dad a visionary man and a fool for leading us out here (which I kind of agree with), and then Dad lit us both up. Dad might be getting old, but he’s still pretty tough, and when he gets going, he's not fun to be around. No wonder the people at the market weren’t huge fans of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment