If You're New to this Blog...

It's been a wild ride since we left Jerusalem. If you're new here, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the First Post. Otherwise, new posts are below.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Twelve Angry Men

The state of their spear technology

We ran into some locals yesterday. It started off pretty tense. It looked like a hunting party of about twelve men, so they were armed (although their weapons weren’t too impressive). Doesn’t look like they know how to do much in the way of metal work. They were talking a lot, and obviously we couldn’t understand what they were saying. Then two of them began to argue. My guess is they had differing opinions about what they should do with us. As it started to escalate, Jacob walked up to them and began to speak to them. Like, in their language or something. They were very surprised at this (as was I), but he talked to them for a good 20 minutes.

Their demeanor changed throughout the conversation, and they went from being suspicious toward us to curious. Jacob took them on a tour of our campsite, showed them the tools we made and how they’re used, and introduced all of us to them. By the end we all embraced and they left.

Afterwards:

Laman: Holy cow, Jacob! How did you know their language?!

Jacob: I don’t. But the Spirit of the Lord told me to go up and talk to them.

Me: In Hebrew?!

Jacob: Well, that’s what I assumed it meant, and as I began speaking, I realized they were understanding me. I assumed they were given the ability to understand us, but then I noticed you guys had no idea what I was saying, and that’s when it occurred to me I was speaking their language.

Nephi: See Jacob, this is what we were talking about the other day. When the Spirit tells you to do something, you obey and you’ll be given the power to accomplish anything.

Lehi: There are many gifts of the Spirit. God has just demonstrated one of them for us through Jacob, and it saved all of our lives.

Me: So can you teach me some of their language??

Jacob: I wish. I don’t remember any of it.

Laman: How is that possible?

Jacob: I…I don’t know.

Me: So what did you say?

Jacob: I just told them why we were here, that God brought us here to escape the wickedness of the city we came from. I explained to them our belief in Christ and that we have no desire to do harm to anyone. I told them it was this same God who gave me the power to speak their language, and that if they’d like, I can teach them of God. They said they needed to bring it up before their leaders. I showed them around the site, showed them the tools we’re capable of building, and introduced them to you guys. That’s about all.

Me: Dude, we owe you.

So that was pretty cool. Actually, no, it was really cool to see Jacob step up and do something like that. Also, gotta admit, I’m kinda glad it was Jacob and not Nephi. Because…well, I’m sure you know why. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment