If You're New to this Blog...

It's been a wild ride since we left Jerusalem. If you're new here, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the First Post. Otherwise, new posts are below.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Interpreter

Sorry it’s been awhile since the last update. Our promised land (assuming we don’t have to move again) is fertile, but also takes a lot of work. We just finished our first harvest and we’re going to be having a big feast in a couple days to celebrate.

The locals I mentioned in the last post gave us some pointers on prepping our fields, and then nearly all of our seeds took to this soil really well, and so the harvest was much better than we expected. God has definitely blessed us here.

Yesterday I finished building an altar. Given our harvest is a gift from God, it’s important that we offer sacrifices of thanksgiving as part of our feast. I’ve never built an altar before, but given the materials and tools I had on hand, I gotta say, I did quite well.

Dad asked Nephi to teach the family as part of the celebration, and Nephi seems ecstatic. Dad’s been pretty sick, and so Nephi has been taking over a lot of Dad’s duties which rubs some people (read: Laban) the wrong way. I’ll be honest, it kinda bugs me too. Partially because he’s my little brother, but mostly because of the way he goes about it. He’s so confident in his interpretation of the scriptures. In my experience there are kind of 6 levels of support the scriptures can give to a person's interpretation.

  1. The scriptures explicitly support an interpretation. At this point, it’s not really even an interpretation. For example, the scriptures plainly state that Abraham received a covenant from God regarding his posterity (us).
  2. The scriptures implicitly support an interpretation. The scriptures don’t come right out and say it, but the stories told, or the statements made make a lot more sense if the interpretation is true. For example, it’s my own personal view that the practice of taking multiple wives is just a horrible idea. Now the scriptures don’t come right out and say that, in fact we have stories of Abraham, Jacob, David, and Solomon all having more than one wife. However, not one of those stories goes well. Abraham and Jacob both experience tons of drama because of it. David and Solomon pretty much lose their souls because of it. So my interpretation of the scriptures is that multiple wives is a horrible idea. None of the prophets say it, but I think the scriptures implicitly support my interpretation.
  3. The scriptures neither support nor refute an interpretation. Sometimes the prophets say things that are just kind of open or it’s not explained what they’re talking about. For example, when Zenos talks about an olive tree and the grafting back and forth of branches from tame and wild olive trees, he doesn’t come right out and explain exactly what he means. Dad and Nephi have both offered their interpretations of what Zenos’ story means. And as I’ve looked at what he’s saying, it appears to me that their interpretation is consistent with his story, but is by no means the only possible interpretation. Other interpretations that the prophets taught back in Jerusalem are also consistent with the story. So who’s right? I’m still in the process of trying to figure out some principles/rules that can help me answer that question. My operating rule before was to listen to the priests and prophets God had appointed to lead His people. But the last decade of experiences has destroyed that operating rule for me.
  4. A roughly equal number of passages support an interpretation as refute it. This one is tricky, and it’s the source of another conflict I’ve had with Dad and Nephi. There are so many passages where the Lord promises He will protect and flourish our people. Yet Dad and Nephi have a roughly equal number of passages they often cite to indicate Jerusalem was ripe for destruction. So again, how do you determine who’s right? Well I have no idea. As I stated above, my operating rule on stuff like this has been pretty well smashed.
  5. The scriptures only support an interpretation if you pull some serious mental gymnastics. This generally involves taking a passage and reinterpreting certain words to mean something different than those words are commonly understood to mean. Then using those reinterpreted words to make the passage support an interpretation.
  6. One passage on its own supports an interpretation, but you have to ignore lots of other scriptures that refute that interpretation. Back to the multiple wives example, the law does allow for taking more than one wife, and so people think it’s okay. But to do that, you have to ignore all the stories of heartache and salvation lost among those who have taken more than one wife. It’s just a bad idea.

Anyway, numbers 3 and 4 have been a constant source of disagreement between me and Nephi. And it doesn’t bother me necessarily that we have different interpretations. Instead what’s annoying is his complete confidence in his interpretation and an unwillingness to entertain the possibility that my interpretation might also be valid.

So yeah, that’s what I have to look forward to when Nephi takes center stage in a couple days. I think instead I’ll try to focus on the cool altar that I built.

No comments:

Post a Comment